Advantage wants you to have a great storage experience. Here are tips on how to handle every step of the storage process. Still have questions? Contact our storage professionals, they are experts at helping with all your storage needs.
- As you move into your storage space, make a simple drawing that shows where items are placed. Post this drawing and a list of contents near the front of the unit.
- Leave a walkway down the center of your unit to make accessing items easier.
- Protect your furniture, including mattresses and box springs, with covers designed for the item.
- Make best use of your storage area by stacking to the ceiling, working from heaviest items on the bottom to lightest items on top. Make sure fragile boxes are placed on top of heavier, less delicate boxes. Be sure not to over pack boxes as they can get heavy and dangerous.
- Don’t forget to use valuable space inside drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators, to store small items: towels, linens, toys, etc.
- Break down large items such as bed frames, tables, and large furniture, and don’t forget to keep all parts (screws and smaller items) together by taping them to the item.
Additional Self Storage Tips to make your Move Smooth
- Wrap furniture legs with protective bubble wrap, furniture covers or pads to prevent scratching.
- Label boxes on all sides for easy identification.
- Place frequently accessed items towards the front of your unit. Less frequently needed items should be placed toward the rear of your unit.
- Boxes that are tightly sealed with packing tape will prevent dust from entering.
- Do not place boxes directly on concrete floors, but use pallets or skids to prevent moisture absorption.
- Common sense and state laws determine what may be stored. You alone control access to your storage space; therefore, never store live animals, perishables, liquids, explosives, flammable liquids and fuels, toxic materials, or other items that need a controlled environment.
- Drain any fluids prior to storing snow blowers, lawnmowers, and other equipment; do not store hazardous or combustible materials.
- Purchase a secure, high quality lock. One of the most highly recommended is the disk lock, which is available at your Advantage rental office.